This gluten free coffee cake has an extra special twist with a caramel and espresso frosting, making it delicious for a gluten free afternoon tea.
WHAT YOU NEED
For the cake
- 175g unsalted butter (or dairy free spread)
- 175g gluten free self-raising flour (I used Dove’s Farm)
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 double espresso shot (approx 60ml – see notes)
For the frosting
- 200g icing sugar
- 100g butter (or dairy free spread)
- 1 espresso shot (see notes)
- 1 tbsp dulce de leche (substitute for dulce de leche flavouring for dairy free)
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin and preheat the oven to 180’C / Gas 4.
- Make the cake by placing all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk or wooden spoon until smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the lined tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes, until a skewer in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is cool, make the frosting. Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk until smooth. Using a spatula, spread over the cake and leave to cool.
- Finish by lashing the cake with some extra dulce de leche (heated in the microwave for 30 seconds) – I used a spoon to ‘flick’ it over the cake. Enjoy!
For the espresso measure for the cake, I used the ‘Luongo’ button on my Nespresso which makes about 60ml. For the frosting I used the ‘espresso’ button which is about 30ml. You could substitute this with the same amount of instant coffee mixed with hot water, made to the strength of your choosing.chooDOWNLOAD PRINT